Popularly known as Mother Nature’s butter, avocados are very high in monosaturated fats, the type of fat that can help you lower cholesterol in your blood.
In addition, they do not contain any cholesterol, so no, avocados are not fattening.
Am sure this is breaking news to many because of the many misconceptions out there about weight gain and fat consumption.
To be clear, consuming fat does not make you chubby. Over consumption of wheat flour, rice, refined sugars and other processed foods is what makes you fat and not consumption of nuts, avocados and raw butter!
Nutrition Facts about Avocados
Perhaps you have heard of the term LDL or low density lipoprotein.
It is bad cholesterol and when you have too much of it in your body, it can easily form plaque on the walls of your veins and arteries which can cause stroke or heart attack. On the other side of the coin, there is what is known as HDL or high density lipoprotein.
HDL usually clears the artery walls and the blood stream of any low density lipoproteins and then transports the bad cholesterol to the liver for it to be eliminated.
Avocados are awash with HDL and play a very big role in preventing stroke and heart disease. This is what makes avocado an overachiever in the health department! In addition, it is also very high in potassium, folate and beta carotene.
In other words…
Today we have many health issues because out diet is full if refined flour, sugars and less in natural fat.
Our ancestors used to take coconut or palm oil, raw butter and avocados for their dietary fat, that is why most of them were very healthy and lived for long.
To make the situation even worse, today people are avoiding, raw nuts, raw butter, avocados and coconut oil because of the misconception that they are fattening.
They do not know that the carbohydrate rich diet laced with wheat, rice and refined sugars they are consuming is the main cause of the mushrooming obesity cases and weight related complications.
The truth is that the only harmful fats are the processed fats. All hydrogenated vegetable oils contain hydrogenated fats or processed fats that are very harmful to your body. So avoiding natural oils like those found in avocados because you do not want to gain weight is wrong!
8 Reasons to Eat an Avocado Every Day
- If that is not convincing enough for you, here are more reasons why you should eat avocado every day for weight loss and a healthier body:
- The fruit is awash with good fats or monosaturated fats which promote reduction of bad cholesterol or low density lipoprotein in the blood. They are also very healthy.
- They only contain fats that the body needs for optimal functioning. They do not trigger weight gain like refined sugars and hydrogenated oils do.
- Because of their satiating effect, it is almost impossible for you to over consume them. In fact it is very hard to take more than 2 helpings of the fruit. But it is very easy to consume a lot of refined sugars and white bread which can easily lead to weight gains.
- If recent studies are anything to go by, avocados have only enough calories in form of fat to help rejuvenate the body and not to trigger weight gain.
- The good fats found in avocados help the body absorb other vegetarian foods with minimal fuss which is good for metabolism.
- People who eat avocados before a meal are unlikely to over eat processed foods.
- Unlike processed fats that are awash with only fat, avocados contain nutrients that rich in essential vitamins and minerals which are important for optimal functioning of the body.
Adding Avocado to your diet
Consuming the fruit as a spread is one of the easiest and tastiest ways to eat avocados. Rather than spreading mayo, cheese or butter on your bread, spread avocado.
You will reduce saturated fats in your blood stream, get your dose of monosaturated fats and essential nutrients like folic acid, potassium and calcium as well as vitamins C,E,K,A and B-complex.
Wrapping it up
People who are allergic to latex should consult their healthcare provider before adding avocado to their diets.
This is because people with latex allergies tend to experience symptoms after taking the fruit.
Nonetheless, avocado is healthy and it is not fattening. In fact with their low carbohydrates, high soluble fiber and monosaturated fats, avocados are one of the best foods you can consume if you want to burn fat.
They are also good for your skin, so enjoy them!