What Is A Paleo Diet?
You may recognize the word “paleo” as in paleolithic, or much simpler, prehistoric times when food was much less processed and was not packaged. The paleo diet is based off of what humans ate before GMO’s, technology, dairy and overly processed sugars were added to all of our foods.
Quick Look at Our Top Picks
Some argue that this diet is just a trend that is happening for the time being for those who are crazed about weight loss and want it to happen quickly. The argument goes on to say that because we have adapted since the paleolithic diet that our bodies are not exactly what humans bodies were in prehistoric times.
While it is trendy, and popular now it is based on a diet of more wholesome foods, fresh fruits and vegetables, no artificial additives and lean meats. Our bodies may have changed and adapted over the years but they still need more raw, natural and unprocessed foods.
Those who eat a paleo diet first cut out processed foods which seems like an obvious place to start, but is actually a challenge in today’s society. The next is refined oils, and sugars, most grains, dairy, potatoes and even peanuts have to be tossed if you plan to seriously commit to a paleo diet.
You should beef up your fresh foods, even though it may seem difficult for you to keep fresh foods around, you will have to make adjustments. This is not a choice simply for your diet and what you are consuming, but how you will handle your entire life.
Modern society completely revolves around the idea of convenience, such as bringing things directly to you, making them cheaper and having food hot, ready and easy to access. For the paleo diet you will have to consciously make changes to your schedule in order to meal prep, purchase foods and keep them stored well to last.
You do not have to freak out that all of the sudden you have all of these strings attached, but a paleo diet seriously is a lifestyle change. It is easy once you get the hang of it and know which foods you can and cannot eat and you can freeze fruits and veggies to use them in a paleo smoothie later if that will make it easier for you to consume your nutrients.
Considerations for this paleo protein powder list
- Organically produced: The paleo diet almost demands that you have an organic lifestyle and diet. Protein powders without additives, chemical and artificial substances have been specifically selected for this list.
- High protein content: Because this is a protein powder supplement the protein count per serving needs to be a hefty one. While a high protein content is not necessarily part of the paleo regimen, it is the main thing you are looking for in a protein powder and therefore is a high requirement.
- Few ingredients: There are not a lot of paleo ingredients that can be made into a powder that can be stored. For this reason it is important to have minimal ingredients that are both paleo and healthy.
- Dairy-free: Dairy-free is a major need when it comes to a paleo protein powder supplement as there are many whey proteins on the market and whey is milk-based. Paleo diet does not allow for milk-based products which means dairy-free is a must.
- Low sugar: As you have read, low sugar and especially no processed sugars should be added to the equation of the protein powder compound. Whatever sugar occurs naturally in the ingredients that are in the powder are normal.
The top 5 paleo protein powders
Before starting a paleo diet make sure that have you have completed adequate research into the subject and are prepared to make the commitment to the lifestyle change. You can speak with your doctor before you start the diet as well to make sure you understand what foods you will need to cut out and which you need to be taking more of.
Be prepared to read the labels on the foods you eat and research the fresh fruits because some, like potatoes may not be something you have considered. You should also be carefully looking into the labels on the protein powders you select as well.
While you are definitely seeking out a good tasting protein powder, you may need to make peace with the fact that protein itself is not very tasty. You are choosing a new diet plan to help your overall health and it comes with some sacrifices.
The protein powders on this list have been looked into to make sure that they are indeed paleo. The paleo protein powders are packed in with protein and minimal sugars as well as free from chemicals, GMO’s and dairy.